Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Happy Halloween



Greetings


I am finally back working on my Blog which I started in March, with the concept to share with you all my experiences in the culinary world, especially during my career at New York's finest Mexican Restaurants City "Zarela".

Since than I have been freelancing, working on my Pastry dessert book, and now this Blog. I also did a gig at a hot restaurant called 44 X Hell's Kitchen in the middle of the Theater district. Developed breads for a Spanish Tapas restaurant, called Jardi in Jackson Heights.

In my first posting, I talked about the Holy Trinity plus One; chocolate, canela, vanilla, and plus one chili.These were my foundation blocks of flavors for my pastry creations.

My research into the origins of these foundation blocks has yield a wealth of history and legend; their ancient connections to the Aztec Gods. I hope to share these discoveries in my next posting, starting with vanilla.

But it is now that wonderful season of magnificent foliage displays, crisp chilly mornings, and best of all- Halloween and El Dia Los Muertos.

It is Au
tumn!

It is a time for ghosts and spirits, jack-0'lanterns, wild colorful costumes, trick or treating and it is also the time to honor our departed. It is All Souls' Day and All Saints' Day.

Halloween and Day of the Dead share some common ground; they both come from early cultures' beliefs about death that later mixed with Christianity. Both their beliefs are based on the idea that the spirits return at this time of year.

Halloween customs stem from the idea that the spirits are malevolent, and one must disguised themselves to stay safe; whereas Day of the Dead welcome home the spirits as family members that one has not seen in a year.

In this posting I would like to share with you some of the history and
meaning of these two ancient celebrations.

Also, I hope you will try and enjoy the recipes I have included.

No comments: